i am a pretentious hack.

       i'm not dead!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

tuesday half-assed blogging: the "things joon digs" issue


1. smart car!!!!! these suffocatingly adorable little critters were all over italy, and every time i saw one i wanted to run up and hug it. i held myself in check, mostly, but i did stroke a few lovingly on my way past. we couldn't understand why they weren't equally prevalent in the states, even taking into account the burning capitalist desire for military-grade recreational vehicles. turns out the real roadblock (heh heh) was bringing the car up to code with u.s. safety regulations—but their time has come. here in new england, they'll only be sold in new hampshire, connecticut, and rhode island, but that's plenty close for me. of course, i'd never get rid of my electric kiwi ilsa; my baby neon has been a true friend to me through thick and thin, and smashed, and arrested. but nothing lasts forever, and maybe by the time she exhales her last fumes i'll have enough tucked away to buy a sparkly new pod. i think she'd want me to remarry.

2. crispin porter + bogusky, the masterminds behind the sometimes bewildering, frequently unsettling, and eternally genius tv spots for the most recent burger king ad campaign. i was traumatized by their insistence that i wake up with the king, but their newest commercial for the cheesy bacon whosywhatsit is the platonic ideal of 30-second media. it's positively haunting. now, i know you've seen it, and maybe you're thinking, "come on, juniper. that's bullshit. it's a dude riding another dude who's dressed up as a chicken. whatever, i don't think you and i can be friends anymore." but there's a world of difference between seeing this commercial and watching this commercial. i need you to let go of all of your preconceptions and demands about what constitutes art, and give yourself over to the experience. trust me, my darlings, it will not go unrewarded*. i notice something new every time.

3. chad vangaalen is the dreamiest thing to come out of canada since, um, well, i bet you can guess. there is no better boy than the d.i.y. indie rocker, and chad's got it going on, what with the 4-track self-recording and the video he put together on his own. he covers all the bases and then some, too, with songs that bounce from feedback-heavy garage rock to sweetly melodic plaints. he's part thom yorke, part sufjan stevens, part something no one else can touch; i have no idea what he looks like, but i'm pretty sure i'd marry him tomorrow regardless.

4. wonder showzen, which i am not linguistically nimble enough to describe. for anyone who lives for outré humor presented in striking and peculiar contexts, though, it's something you shouldn't have to live without. the first-season dvd set came out today, so if the web site leaves your mouth watering but you don't have the fortitude to sit awake all hours of the day and night hoping mtv2 will throw you a bone, pick it up and hide it from the kids.

and i'm awful sweet on you all, too. now go out and embrace the freak show.






* it will also not make you want a sandwich, but sometimes you sacrifice a little bit of function for form. like with bulldogs.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Me said…

    ooh yeah i wanna make out w/that car too!

    i hope you're planning on staying this time cause canadian mints are just as sugary as twizzlers!

    btw, how is toadie doing?

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger juniper pearl said…

    what is it with you and twizzlers?

    toadie has removed herself to a remote corner of the apartment, where she speaks to no one but her bird, who is rapidly becoming the more captivating speaker of the two. i'm afraid we're not so tight as we once were . . . but what doesn't end?

     
  • At 3:35 PM, Blogger Me said…

    twizzlers are scientifically proven to stunt your growth.

    aww toadie & birdy :( I hope it's something that will pass quickly so we can all get reports on your next trip to europe. meanwhile, shame on you JP... not everything ends... like my undying luv for you!... and MG's hair.

     
  • At 12:12 PM, Blogger juniper pearl said…

    i guess it's good that i've never liked them, then. i'm not sure that your response answers my question, but it'll do.

    i think no more trips to europe for a while--at least until i've actually offered you a full report on the last one. lazy, lazy me. malcolm's hair may not end, but it's making up for it with a staunch effort at recession. not that i care.

    i love you, too. :)

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Me said…

    i meant my undying luv for you AND MG's hair ;) you know my grammar is rotten.

    there's more to europe? fine, don't tell us, see if i report to you about my stay in virginia beach.

    how is work & your new job going? your readers want to know, yanno! oh and take a picture of your family... i wanna see :)

     
  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Me said…

    maybe i'll start a trend by blogging in a blog.

    Dear Readers,

    i may not be "the" JP, but hey i think i could come in at maybe 4th place... if you take away my awful grammar and horrid spelling. I bake a mean pumpkin pie and often burn my toast in the morning (for those of you that like burnt toast) I also do windows.

    i don't have anything exciting to talk about today, no links, no current events, no hot guy leads sorry!, but i will say that we all miss JP very much, don't we kids?

    oh yeah and don't go copying my new trend, a blog-within-a-blog.

    yours truly,
    me

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    That car is great! I remember reading on this car awhile back. That's it, I'm moving to Maine! I love the snow and cold anyways. Wonder how well it handles in 3 feet of snow?

    I was just searching through old blog posts and came across your name, so I thought I'd stop by to see how you were.

    PS) Neons suck! :p

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Good luck Mikey B. JP has been MIA for awhile now... oh and aren't they replacing the Neon with something else that doesn't look anything like it?

     
  • At 5:53 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Dear Readers,

    Easter has come and gone and still no JP. I suppose it's possible that the Great White Easter Bunny swooped JP up and added JP to the colorful Easter Egg basket of Life. I would guess JP would be a pretty light blue w/sparkles.

    Until later,
    me

     
  • At 3:20 AM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    Atleast you are keeping everyone updated here. Maybe we should just both start comment blogs, since I have no readers either :p.

    Happy Easter lsz and JP.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger Me said…

    !! pfft, sure steal my idea :p

    anyway, i have no idea where JP is and i bet i'll be in BIG trouble when JP returns for taking over teh blog's comments.

    oh how we miss JP though dangit dangit dangit!

    oh and Mikey B. as i recall you never advertised your blog too much you have tons of friends that read i'm sure!! people are just lame-o in that they don't comment.

    happy belated easter to you too!

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    I won't steal your idea. I really don't care who reads my site or comments. It's just there for me. I'm not here for attention.

    None of my friends can figure out how to comment on blogger. Then again, it takes 3 of them just to turn a computer on, let alone post on an internet journal, so that explains a fraction of the problem :p.

     
  • At 3:56 AM, Blogger Me said…

    yeah, tell me about it... one of mine asked me the other day how to uninstall her pop-up windows. i'm like "what!?"

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    I need one of these shirts

    *deleted my other comment since it popped in this window and didn't look right. Then blogger decided to tell me that the target="_new" function isn't acceptable.

    *grumbles*

     
  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger Me said…

    haha... yeah you resemble the computer guy though, so you need a shirt that says "Mooooooooove"

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    Moooooooove? lol.. I'm lost here :p.

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Me said…

    http://www.cdonline.com.au/?event=store.news&pageId=9§ion=dvd

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    BWahahahahhahahahahahha... Thanks for that lsz.. That's freaking hilarious!

    I'm not that much of an asshole though :p.

    /sometimes it is the stupid software
    //sometimes it is the stupid user

     

Post a Comment

<< Home