i am a pretentious hack.

       i'm not dead!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

tuesday feel-the-love blogging


so, i thought about hitting somebody on monday. i had my target all picked out and the links copied and coded and a post half finished, but then i just, i don't know . . . my heart wasn't in it. i think it was because it snowed here yesterday for the first time this winter, and watching the flakes strike and stick to the glass before they melted i realized that they actually do look exactly the way we all imagine snowflakes look--perfectly symmetrical, sharply delineated, head-of-a-pin stars, all those tiny spikes and lacy spaces miracles of architecture more precise in their geometric harmony than anything i could put together with all the measuring equipment in the world at my disposal, every single one flawless, and it was so moving, that something so hard to see could be so much more beautiful and deserving of study than any of the macroscopic objects surrounding it . . . it was like hearing a who. and i didn't want to fight with anyone. so i didn't. that thing that made me angry will still make me angry next week, and probably it was in my best interests to save my strength for the state of the union address, anyway.

of course, you might not have snow where you are. but you should have something to not fight for, too--so here's wendy molyneux telling you everything she knows about football, which is everything i know about football, which we both agree is all anyone really needs to know about football. and maybe for a second you'll want to fight with me over that--but then you'll notice how sparkly the gemstones in my earrings are and how they refract tiny beams of light all around the room, and before you know it you'll be completely hypnotized by the eensy-weensy rainbows flickering all about my head, and the fight'll go right out of you. honest. and if it doesn't, you can always yell at me later.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger Mikey B. said…

    That's one of the many reasons I'm a snow lover. To see nature creating something so perfect out of thin air is just mind boggling.

     
  • At 3:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Snowflakes really are amazing. I'm reminded of Snowflake Bentley, whom I learned about when I was a Vermont schoolboy with red cheeks and frozen snot.

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger juniper pearl said…

    i almost threw a link to a bentley page in there, spine, but i couldn't figure out where to put it, and i was feeling kind of lazy and dreamy and wasn't interested in thinking very hard . . . but it fits very nicely here, and i'm happy the two of you share my enthusiasm. i think i was the only person i heard say anything positive about the snow. poor snow; it's doing the best it can.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home