i am a pretentious hack.

       i'm not dead!

Sunday, October 16, 2005

i love it when i'm right.

so, i just got back from mirrormask, and it was all of the dreamily abstract things i'd hoped it would be. it is geared towards the young ones a bit, so don't go if you're apt to be disappointed by a lack of challenging subtext, but if you can shush your insistently adult and analytical mind for about an hour and a half you'll be enchanted. the things neil gaiman and dave mckean absently ponder while they're brushing their teeth must make my most outrageous hallucinatory escapades look like 1950s hygiene films. lucky bastards. don't read any further if you'd rather not know more about the movie than you already do, but for the rest of you, here are the three moments that most made me tap my toes on the floor and grin big as a five-year-old faced with a wading pool full of gumdrops:

1. helena, the main character, spends most of the movie in an angular, rust-colored cityscape whose streets are crawling with sphinxes in the place of stray cats. the sphinxes are very much like cats, temperament-wise, but have lurid paper-mask man-faces and rainbowy wings, and speak with classy london accents. at one point a group of them gathers at her feet and demands cake. they look up at her, all cat even with their flat people eyes, and very calmly say exactly what any cat, and certainly my cat, would say in this situation: "hungry." half the audience died laughing, presumably the half who have shared their homes with cats.

2. helena (for reasons i probably shouldn't disclose, in case you're thinking of taking my very good advice and going to see it for yourself) finds herself in a room filled with hexagonal clock-topped boxes. these things

pop out of them and proceed to sing the most brilliantly, chillingly gorgeous version of the carpenters' "close to you" that one could ever hope to hear. i already miss it, in fact, and will probably end up buying the soundtrack just for its sake. the scene reminded me of the bit in legend where the shadow-girl dances lily into that fabulous black dress. i didn't want to go to my prom, and when my friends tried to coax me into it i told them that i would go if and only if they found a way for me to do it wearing that dress. so, i spent a fulfilling spring evening watching a friday the 13th marathon on usa and trying (in vain) to make s'mores in my living room with hershey miniatures and a yankee candle. neither here nor there.

3. this one's special on a just-for-me level, but i can tell you, because it's okay for us to have secrets: helena falls through a hole in the floor and lands in the middle of a circle of creatures of indeterminate anthropoid origin. she tells them her name, and they respond just enough for her to understand that there are about a dozen bobs... and one malcolm. when the shadows come for her, someone flies her to safer ground—and it ain't bob.

why do birds suddenly appear?

good night, my darlings. because you're good babies, and because you like me too, dream something you didn't know you could dream.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At 8:26 AM, Blogger Me said…

    just like me they long to be close to someone w/a crazy doo that actually understands us.

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That movie sounds kind of awesome.

    As for dreams, I actually had a bad one last night (this morning, actually) -- a dream that woke me up with pangs of self-loathing. By the time I got in the shower, I'd forgotten what the dream was about, but it took much longer for my mood to recover. I think it's a sign that I need to go see Mirrormask.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger juniper pearl said…

    pangs of self-loathing? awwww, muffin! i didn't want you to dream that dream... i feel dreadful. it's, um, interesting that you've taken it to be that particular sign, though of course you're the only person who can interpret your dreams with any sort of accuracy. that's not to say it isn't an excellent idea, going to see it. but in the meantime, look what i've found to cheer you up--something preeee-tyyyyy!

    no more nightmares, darling. promise me.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Me said…

    aw spine she never calls me muffin.. in fact i don't think anyone has ever called me muffin.. they've called me to make muffins, I guess that's okay.

    bluberry is my specialty, btw.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger juniper pearl said…

    that's because you never type a full series of ellipsis points. somewhere there's a tottering mound of lost dots thinking wounded thoughts about you, lsz.

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger Me said…

    nothing that a lit'l duck tape won't fix *quack*

    but really.. how many ellipsis points make up a full series? i can learn these things!

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Three, Lsz. Unless you want your ellipses to be elliptical themselves, in which case two is cool.

    Thanks for the link, Juniper (capital J? lowercase? preference?). Being made over by creaky mannequin chanteuses looks fun.

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Thank you spine! I think she would prefer Muffin (capital M).

     
  • At 6:11 AM, Blogger Me said…

    JP, since you didn't post yesterday... i will comment on the invisible post that I was probably punk'd on.

    I usually agree with your points (non-political) however, I think you should go with the ORANGE socks for halloween... the ones with little frogs that say "kiss me" will just have to wait for Valentine's Day.

     
  • At 6:12 PM, Blogger juniper pearl said…

    what on earth are you talking about? i do wear orange socks on halloween, they have sparkly multicolored bats on them. and the ones with the little frogs don't say "kiss me," but they do have pink stripes. my valentine's day socks have ladybugs on them. you're so far out in left field when it comes to my footwear, it's ridiculous.

    and for the last time, i don't consort with kutchers.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Me said…

    somebody has to be in left field yanno... and besides it's fun out here, you just hang out, check out the fence and occasionally get hit in the head by a flying object.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home