i am a pretentious hack.

       i'm not dead!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

these things have made me sigh in tones ranging from annoyance to despair

1. today when i went out to my car, there was a piece of very moldy bread on the roof over the driver's seat. i don't know how it came to be there, but it left a fairly unattractive spot on the paint.

2. on tuesday morning i slammed on my brakes--and i mean slammed--to avoid hitting a squirrel who had chosen to pause in the middle of an off-ramp to wash his (or her) face. my fluffy mammalian friend made it safely across the road, no one crashed into my rear end (because no one was behind me; i try just as hard to avoid killing people as i do squirrels), and i got to start the day hopped up on the brilliant combo of adrenaline and cheer at having done a good deed.

on wednesday morning i noticed the not-so-fluffy remains of a squirrel about ten yards from the tire tracks i'd left the previous morning and spent the entire day in a murky fog of hopeless disappointment.

3. brenda lifsey, a woman i'm happy to not know, is suing kraft because she doesn't like their guacamole. she's seeking unspecified damages for the dip's lack of avocado. if brenda ever finds out about velveeta, the cheese-free cheese, the whole corporation is going to go under.

4. i am the lone editor at a publishing company that is attempting to start up not one but three new periodicals in the next three months, and the people at the top are pretty sure that now that they've given me that dollar-an-hour raise (which still does not put me at even the low end of the salary range for my position), i ought to be thrilled to work sixty-five hours a week instead of forty. and maybe i would be, but i've tried everything i can think of to explain to them that i wouldn't have to work all those extra hours if the production manager didn't run to me wringing her hands and furrowing her brow every time an author asked her to make a change on a set proof. it isn't my fault that i don't have quark on my computer; if they've decided she's the one to be doing that work, she should be doing it, damn it.

5. last night i went to bed at 9:30 because i had gotten under six hours of sleep every day since sunday, and i was exhausted and determined to catch up. it took me fifteen minutes to fall asleep, which was a pretty strong start for me, but i woke up at 11:30 and could not fall asleep again until 4 AM. that's the least sleep yet, and i can't figure out what i've done to make my body so determined to destroy me.

6. i'm so fucking whiny.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 3:55 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I'm sorry about the squirrel, but as a former national park bus driver, I can tell you it happens. You don't want to develop the habit of slamming the brakes or swerving your vehicle. Much worse things can happen from that habit. We got that drilled into us by instructors - slowing down is the most you should do in reaction.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home